With all of us stuck in the house, some of us have upped our baking or cooking skills. I’ve seen a ton of people baking bread these days but I went a different direction. I decided to try my hand at baking something for Roxie! I’ve seen ton of recipes floating around for pet friendly treats but I went with one that I found courtesy of Dogs of Charm City, Carrot Cake Pupcakes! I already knew Roxie liked carrots, I figured this was a safe bet for the first time around. Plus it was pretty simple on my end. If you don’t want to click through, here’s the recipe:
· 1 cup flour
· 1 tsp. baking powder
· 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
· 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil
· 1 egg
· ¼ cup shredded carrot
· Dash of cinnamon (optional)
For the Frosting
· ½ cup cream cheese or plain greek yogurt
· ¼ cup peanut butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners OR spray with nonstick cooking spray if you don’t have paper liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl. In a second bowl, mix pumpkin, applesauce, oil, egg and shredded carrots. Combine all ingredients until mixed.
3. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins until they are about 2/3 filled. Pop em’ in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until firm. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting (this is important!!)
4. Mix frosting ingredients using a hand-mixer.
I used a mini-cupcake pan for most of the pupcakes, but made a few larger one’s for some of the larger dogs in the family. The small size is perfect for Roxie at the moment. They turned out pretty good! The only thing I’d do different next time is fill the pans a little more. They don’t rise like typical cake mix and there’s really no concern for any overflow. You could even get away with filling them completely probably! I used a ziplock bag with a hole in the corner to put the icing on, just to make it look cute. Oh and if you’re wondering…yes I did try one. No, I do not recommend for people. Since there’s pretty much zero sugar in these things it tastes very bland and not that great. But the dogs loved them and that’s all that matters!
I think I’m going to try and find a few different recipes to try. I want to order some cute cookie cutters and pans to try and spice things up a bit. If I try my hand at anything else I’ll be sure to share! And don’t forget you can follow Roxie on Instagram>!